Wednesday, February 11, 2009

“Barriers”

For the last several weeks the lectionary has taken me carefully, slowly, and at times painfully through first chapter of Mark’s gospel. Mark is not that long of a gospel, and yet there is so much found just in the first chapter alone to make the reader, the preacher, and the listener of the sermon squirm and anxious.

A constant found just in the first chapter (and carried on throughout the entire Gospel) is the theme of “barriers.” We find a Jesus who is constantly overcoming the institutional and systemic barriers of his time and culture. Of course these barriers were not originally intended to BE barriers, but over time their application and abuse led to their creation as such

It matters not if he is teaching in the synagogue, performing exorcisms, healing on the Sabbath, touching and pronouncing clean the unclean, Jesus is not only crossing barriers, but smashing them and one could easily suggest, I think, condemning them. You should take a look some time at the first chapter of Mark through this lens. I tell you, there is most certainly a word here in need of being spoken not only to the culture of today, but most importantly to faith communities (especially those who call themselves “Christian” faith communities).

I was recently having a conversation with a young adult – and by “young adult” I am referring to someone who is under the age of 40 (in my current congregation, that would make you VERY young). This person is very familiar with our congregation – our strengths and weaknesses; the kind of person I keep hearing others say, “we want/need more of in order grow (or survive).”

“Why does church need so many rules,” she asked.

“Define rules,” I responded. “You could make a rule, ‘we need to love one another.’ That is a rule, and I think it is a pretty good and fundamental rule.”

“Well,” she continued, “if want to live out my calling and use my gifts [in this particular congregation], I have to be considered “a member” of the church. What if I don’t want to be a member? WHY DO I HAVE TO BE A MEMBER? Why can’t I just come and live out my faith and my calling without ‘membership?’ It’s because of these rules.”

Not only was she right, but she was articulating something which has been bothering me for years – something congregations must be willing to address should they wish to remain viable, relevant, or at the very least, OPEN over the course of the next 20 years.

I said to her, “What I think you are really talking about are not rules, but the ‘barriers’ we have in place which keep you [or any person] from being the person God has created and called them to be. Those barriers need to be removed.”

When “rules” become “barriers” we become sinful – we are guilty of idolatry – and we not only deny the presence of grace but we shut out the potential of God to be revealed in and through another person.

What are the systemic and institutional barriers we have either intentionally or unintentionally created within our communities of faith? The can be formal or informal – they can go spoken or unspoken. They can be written down in a Constitution and By Laws or they can be instituted orally or by “tradition.”

Like many of the “rules” Jesus challenged, the rules we enact in our churches were {perhaps} not intended to BE barriers, but have become so down through the years by their interpretation and application.

In some congregations and denominations women are not allowed to serve in formal or vocational roles within the life of the church. Women cannot serve as a part of the Diaconate, serve as Elders, or be ordained clergy. I am thankful I do not belong to a Church who has created such a barrier. The reasoning some use to enforce this barrier is an [mis]understanding and [mis]interpretation of Scripture. Of course, these same churches have no problem allowing women the wonderful and powerful responsibility of teaching our children in Sunday school.

A very real and dreadful barrier existing today within many Christian denominations and faith communities (including my own) centers around the inclusion of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and trans-gendered persons of faith. The barriers range from the issue of ordination and vocational call to whether a GLBT person can serve as an elder, deacon, or even be welcomed to sit in the pew each Sunday and worship without fear of persecution or being ostracized.

I am very clear where I stand on this issue. Jesus’ example breaks down all of the barriers we have created out of our various “rules” and traditions. I believe deep down and with every ounce of faith and love I possess in my being that just as God and Jesus have welcomed and embraced the GLBT community, so should I and so should the Church in all aspects of life.

I realize this is a very complex issue. It is complex, but it is not complicated.

In my congregation we have on our marquee the statement, “All are Welcome Here.” In my mind, that is a bold theological statement which reflects the Kingdom of God. How we have historically applied that statement would probably raise some eyebrows, cause cynical chuckles, and even induce anger.

As a part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) we, of course, celebrate the Lord’s Supper every week as a part of our worship service. It is an open table, we say. This means [to ME] that ALL people are welcomed to join us in this act of remembrance and receiving of God’s grace.

Sometimes when our Elders offer the invitation to the table, you will hear it stated, “Anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior is welcomed to the table.”

Fifty years ago that was a bold and inclusive statement when some denominations and churches would not allow you to receive communion were you a part of a different Christian faith tradition or even congregation. Today, as one of my church members recently pointed out, this statement creates a huge barrier in front of the table, keeping some from joining us in the Great Feast. For some Elders it is a matter of repeating something they heard growing up without really giving it much thought; for others it is an intentional theological statement and barrier.

My oldest son is 7 years old and every week he joins me in worship, he comes forward and takes communion from me. He has never made his “profession of faith” and he has not yet entered into the waters of baptism, yet I know he is welcomed at the table by God.

To some his act of taking communion is an offense. To me it is the Kingdom of God revealed in a small child – it is a barrier to faith and church being broken down.

I love the Church and I have great hope for the Church, but I love God more. The Church is killing itself by creating barriers and it pains me deeply. I pray we will one day find the courage and a way to break down these barriers we have created. They are not of God, but rather of our own arrogance and ignorance.

In Mark 1:40-45 (this week’s Gospel reading in the Lectionary) a leper comes to Jesus and asks not to be healed, but rather to be made clean. By asking to be cleansed, the leper is asking for more than his physical health.

Jesus, responds according to Mark, with “pity.” It seems some translations of the Greek suggest the word “pity” should actually be “anger” … Jesus responded to the request of the leper with ANGER.

Was he angry at the leper? I think not. I think he was angry at the culture and the system which forced the leper to ask Jesus to be made clean. He was angry because someone was forced to ask to be treated with dignity and respect.

The leper was asking to regain his dignity and to be recognized as a person of worth and value within the community.

I do not think that is too much for anyone to ask, do you?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... I think this should be preached. This Sunday perhaps???

    ReplyDelete